Monday, November 8, 2010

Still waiting...

I called Primary Children's Hospital today to see if I could get ahold of one of the doctors we had seen last week. She was out of the clinic today and I decided just to leave a message instead of having them track her down (like they offered too). So I wasn't expecting to hear anything today - and it was a surprise when our family doctor called tonight with some news. He had called the pathology deparment up at Primary Children's Hospital earlier today and spoke to a doctor in the pathology lab who had done tests on the tissue they removed from Paige's back. The results are - THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT IS! The doctor (and several of her collegues, who also have looked at it) has never seen anything like it before. They have sent it on to another lab for more testing. I am happy about this news - I was waiting for them to call and give me a name of a cancer. In fact, this report didn't use the word sarcoma at all - which I am taking as meaning that it didn't match with any type of sarcoma they were familiar with. Since they have not given me a name associated with cancer, I am still very hopeful and praying that it could be something benign. Another lab probably means another week though before we hear anything new - and this waiting stuff is getting hard!!!
I am more grateful than I can put into words for everyone's support - there are literally people all over the world praying for Paige (and me). I have learned so much about prayer these past couple weeks - I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who hears and answers my prayers. It is hard to believe that it has only been a week since I first heard the words "spindle cell" and "sarcoma" - at times it feels more like a month or even a year. I am so thankful for what I have learned about the Holy Ghost during this trying time - he can truly be a constant companion. There is no way that I could have made it through this week without the comfort and direction that he has given me.
I am now going to break out the math books again - the exit exam is only two days away. Hopefully, I might even be able to concentrate tonight!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope that is great news! I can only imagine how hard the waiting is. Call me when you get some down time ... oh wait, I'm sure that never happens to you but I'd love to talk to you.

Sharon McKee said...

Good luck on your exam!

Cath said...

No sarcoma is indeed great news! But I strongly encourage you, while the pathologists are trying to interpret the sample, to have Paige tested to make sure that there are not other tumors. It's very important that you are assertive about this. You want to KNOW that she is clear & safe. The tumor she had seems to have been fast growing so time is very important. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. You & Paige are always in my thoughts.