Friday, August 7, 2009

My Pancake Maker

The kids came back last night - they had a great time with their dad (he is going to send pictures, so I will post them later - but they spent the week at Lake Tahoe - one of their favorite places). Miles learned how to make pancakes (THANKS Grandma Gilmore) and was eager to show off his cooking skills - so we had pancakes for breakfast.
I was impressed - he not only mixed the batter himself (measuring too), but he poured the batter and flipped the pancakes himself. He wouldn't let me help at all - in fact, when I suggested he go sit down and eat with the rest of the family - he refused and cooked the entire batch himself. Here's what it looked like!

I have had a hard time this summer (and spring before that and winter before that) letting people help me. I used to think that I could do everything by myself - but I am learning (slowly) that I do need help (lots of it). Anyway - one of the things that I wanted to do this summer was to start a MTC - yes, it stands for Missionary Training Center (I got this idea from my sister-in-law, Thanks Elsa). Anyway, I wanted to focus not only on scriptures and stuff, but also on the practical things that missionaries are expected to know - like cooking, sewing, laundry, etc. Anyway, it was an idea that lasted for only 3 days - dispite the fact that both boys have been begging to cook all summer. So I really do appreciate Grandma Gilmore for taking the time and having the patience to help Miles - he loved it and loves that he has a new skill - not to mention, he is really good at it, so I love that he enjoys helping me (at least helping me cook - helping me clean his room or practice his piano is another thing). Anyway - thanks to the whole Gilmore family who took good care of my kids this week - they had a blast and got a lot more attention then I have been giving them for a while!!

No comments: